1-5. Pick out the word whose underlined and bold part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
1. A. great B. trade C. part D. save
2. A. breath B. teeth C. thought D. there
3. A. equation B. television C. mention D. decision
4. A. few B. new C. sew D. news
5. A. could B. hook C. stood D. tool
6 – 10. Pick out the word that has the stress differently from that of the other words.
6. A. vulnerable B. diversity C. priority D. extinction
7. A. expectancy B. destruction C. gorilla D. sociable
8. A. rhino B. panda C. tiger D. giraffe
9. A. exploitation B. population C. deforestation D. expedition
10. A. mosquito B. animal C. crocodile D. buffalo
11-25. Choose the best answer among A, B,C or D that best completes each sentence.
11. They were too late. The plane ….. off ten minutes earlier.
A. was taking B. took C. was taken D. had taken
12. He said he was going ……… , but he would get to the party by nine.
A. before B. next C. then D. now
13. He is ………to lift this weight.
A. strong not enough B. not enough strong
C. enough strong D. not strong enough
14. Hoi An is famous …. its old streets.
A. about B. of C. to D. for
15. I …. she will agree about giving you a pay rise.
A. think hardly B. hardly think
C. hard think D. think hard
16. My brother stopped ….. two years ago.
A. smoked B. smoking C. smoke D. to smoke
17. A very nice painting is hung …..the wall in our classroom.
A. on B. at C. above D. over
18. He is tired now. He ……. the gardening for hours.
A. does B. is doing
C. did D. has been doing
19……. open the window for you?
A. Shall I B. Should I do
C. Shall I to D. Do I
20. We postponed the picnic ……
A. because of the raining heavily B. because it was raining heavily
C. because the heavily rain it was D. because it is raining heavily
21. …….the gold medal, he will have to do better than that.
A. So he win B. winning
C. To win D. So that he wins
22. I’m afraid I have to leave …….a few days’ time.
A. at B. in C. on D. after
23. The context ……. which you learn something can affect how well you remember it.
A. in B. to C. for D. of
24. My boss is angry with me. I didn’t do all the work I …… last week.
A. should do B. could do
C. should have done D. must have done
25. Jane’s glasses are on the desk, so she ….. be here.
A. must B. shall C. ought D. will
26 – 30. Choose the underlined part among A, B, C or D that needs correcting.
26. John suggested thatmy putting a better lock on the door as soon as possible.
A B C D
27. Paul apologized Susanforgiving her the wrong telephone number.
A B C D
28. The factory would be able to produce many more work if it were modernized.
A B C D
29. Don’t forgetphoning him back this evening.
A B C D
30. You really must see that new play. It is very excited.
A B C D
31 – 35. Choose the correct sentence among A, B, C or D which has the same meaning as the given one.
31. The waiter said, “Would you mind moving to another table?”
A. The waiter asked me to mind moving to another table.
B. The waiter asked me moving to another table.
C. The waiter asked me to move to another table.
D. The waiter warned me to another table.
32. “You spent so much money on clothes, Ann” her mother said.
A. Ann’s mother told her to spend so much money on clothes.
B. Ann’s mother accused Ann of spending so much money on clothes.
C. Ann’s mother blamed Ann for spending so much money on clothes.
D. Ann’s mother advised Ann not spending so much money on clothes.
33. Mary apologizes for having kept them waiting.
A. Mary has been waiting for them so long time.
B. Mary is sorry they were very late.
C. Mary says they called to say that they will be late.
D. Mary is sorry that she made them wait for her.
34. Sam wishes to be an architect like his father.
A. Sam wants his father to be an architect.
B. Sam and his father wish to become architects.
C. Sam would like to be an architect.
D. Sam wants the architect to like his father.
35. I took more time on the last question than I did on the first four.
A. I answered only the first four questions.
B. The last question was the most difficult for me.
C. I failed to get to the last question.
D. I found the last question easier than the other questions.
36 – 45. Choose the word or phrase among A, B, C or D that best fits the blank space in the following passage:
Like many of Africa’s large animals, giraffes (36)…. in numbers and in range over the last century. At one time, herds of over 100 animals (37)…. common in savanna regions across the continent, but today concentrations like these (38)…. only in East Africa – particularly Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park.
The decline of giraffe populations (39)…. due to hunting. In Africa, the giraffe is a traditional source of skin and hair and also of tough but nutritious meat. (40)……. of giraffes has not vet has a catastrophic effect, (41)….. on some of Africa’s big-game animals, but it is a cause for concern. The natural habitat of the giraffe is also being impacted more and more by human activities, (42)….. the animal’s range.
The giraffe is currently a (43)….. species throughout most of its range and is classed as conservation-dependent by the World Conservation Union. The and reserves, but for animals living outsides these areas the future (45)…. secure.
36. A. decline B. declined C. had declined D. have declined
37. A. were B. are C. have been D. had been
38. A. existed B. exists C. exist D. existing
39. A. were largely C. has largely been
B. largely were D. has been largely
40. A. Hunt B. Hunted C. Hunting D. The hunting
41. A. as it does B. as it has C. like it does D. like it has
42. A. reducing B. reduced C. being reduced D. reduces
43. A. protective B. protecting C. protected D. protection
44. A. ones B. those C. that D. what
45. A. few B. fewer C. little D. less
46 – 50, Choose the item among A, B, C or D that best answers the question about the passage:
During the 19th century, it was common to hear people in Europe and America say that the resources of the sea are unlimited. For example, a noted biologist writing in the mid-19lh century commented that none of the great sea fisheries is to be exhausted. Today tíu there is evidence that the resources of the sea are as seriously endangered as those of the land and the air, and that the endangered species include Herring and Carp as well as the African Elephant, Indian Tiger, and the American Eagle.
Furthermore, the threats to fish are more alarming in some ways than the threats to animals and birds. This is because fishes are a much needed food resources and people throughout the world depend on fish as an important part of their dish, and the decline in the fish supply could have extensive effects on hunger and population. Fishermen in the North Atlantic alone annually harvest 20 billion pounds of fish to satisfy food demands, but it is important to recognize that these practices cannot continue without depleting fish storage within the next few years. Sea resources are rapidly declining in many parts of world, and the problem cannot be ignored. We can predict that food supplies in the sea cannot last forever.
46. According to the author what was the attitude in the 19th century toward resources of the sea?
A. Declined. B. Depleted.
C. Limited. D. Unlimited
47. What is the range of the decline in fish supply?
A. Europe and Asia. B. The whole world.
C. Asia and America. D. America.
48. What purpose does the author mention the endangered species for?
A. Environment protection.
B. The protection of African Elephant.
C. The protection of Indian Tigers.
D. None of the above.
49 What does the author believe about sea resources?
A. Sea resources can last forever.
B. None of the great sea fisheries is to be exhausted.
C. Fish supply has no effects on people.
D. Sea resources are important to people.
50. Which of the following titles best describes the purpose of the lecture?
A. Unlimited Sea Resources.
B. Threats to Animals and Birds.
C. Sea Resources on the Decline.
D. Protection of Fish.